Monday 7 March 2011

Barcelona (A)

So this is it. The big game of the round. After playing superbly in the home leg and coming away with a deserved 2-1 win, the pressure is on to come away from the Nou Camp with a result. I think you'll find it doesn't happen often. So to proceed to the next round we need to either win or draw. However a loss of one goal with us scoring 2 or more would also see us qualify (3-2, 4-3).

This is the section where I normally highlight the strong players in the squad, however this is Barcelona so to save time I'm going to highlight the players that I think are the weaknesses. Namely the one weakness I can see and that is the fact that Carlos Puyol wont be fit for tomorrows game. Which suggests that they will play a similar back four and there the weakness will be with Maxwell who I see as a weak left back and he showed this in the first leg with Walcott causing all sorts of problems for him, however with Walcott out do we have the capabilities to exploit this left hand side? Instinctively I would suggest that Wenger will play Bendtner, so I'm saying no.



Now Bendtner fans will be quick to point out his performance against Leyton Orient, however the fact is that was against Leyton Orient, this is Barcelona. A small difference in quality. So to our squad. Well Van Persie has been included which although it sounds promising I would doubt he will start and may have been included with the intention of coming on as a sub. However the return of Fabregas is welcomed and I think he will start along with Jack Wilshere who is also fit to play. The loss of Song could be problematic as he is a strong holding player who when playing a team like Barcelona is vital to win the aerial balls, although Abou Diaby has travelled. The starting line up is anybodies guess apart from Szczesny in goal and the current back four. In terms of attacking who knows after Saturday. I would prefer to see Chamakh upfront with Arshavin and Nasri on the wings, however it is impossible to say what Wenger will go for.



There is no doubt that we are out and out underdogs in this tie and getting a result at the Nou Camp is probably one of the biggest achievements a club can get in football. But they aren't unbeatable and in football stranger things have happened. I think the vital thing is the first goal. If we score first then we're in with a shout, if Barca draw first blood then I can see it being hard coming from behind away from home. Critics will be quick to write us off and sadly I personally can't see us pulling it off, but maybe, just maybe it will be our night in Spain.

Prediction: Barcelona 3-1 Arsenal