Wednesday 23 November 2011

Borussia Dortmund (H)

Good morning all, once again its Champions League week. I was watching Napoli play Man City last night and a few things occurred to me, firstly its not an away day I'd particularly fancy but mainly the importance of keeping qualification in your hands. Now for Man City fans its all dependant on what Napoli do, not that I have any sympathy with those Manc pricks. On another quick note before moving on to the Arsenal, I really hope (should we both qualify) that we don't draw Napoli, but we'll deal with that should the time come.

Anyway now to Arsenal and there's a mix of team news ahead of tonight. Firstly some good news (I know right), Abou Diaby is in the squad tonight for the first time this season and it would be good to see him get some game time as I do think we've missed his attacking threat and power at times. I think he gets a bad press which is unjustified and a lot of this maybe because people are expecting him to be the next Viera and that's a huge ask. Whether he comes on as a sub or gets subbed I don't think he'll play a full 90 due to fitness etc. In other news Rosicky has picked up a "small thigh strain" which usually with Arsenal means he'll be out for months. Its a shame cause I think he's played really well this season after a nightmare last year, lets hope its a speedy recovery. The news from Wenger is that Van Persie will start which is promising. So I reckon it'll be something like this: Szczesny, Koscienly, Vermaelen, Mertescker, Santos, Song, Ramsey, Arteta/Diaby, Gervinho, Walcott, RVP


Now we all know that they are a good team and I was always under the impression that they were poor travellers but they beat Bayern Munich away at the weekend so there goes my theory. But still they are far stronger at home than they are away and hopefully we can use this to our advantage. So dangerous players and they have a few. Obviously the man with all the hype at the moment Mario Götze who broke Bayern at the weekend, but other threats come from Lewandowski and the Japanese man Kagawa who is a fantastic play maker and of course watch our for Ivan Perišić who scored against us in the reverse fixture.


Tonight's match is crucial, a win and we're there and if we win and Olympiakos do a job on Marseille then we'll go through top. But any other result tonight leaves us going to Olympiakos needing a result which is definitely not the situation we want to be in. Chances are we'll have to go there to get a result to go top but that far better than going there needing a result to progress.

Right I'm out Friday so all the build up to Fulham tomorrow. COYG!

Prediction: Arsenal 2-1 Borussia Dortmund