Thursday 19 April 2012

Arteta Update & Ramsey

I don't normally do a post like this but its a short one just to keep you updated and to clear one thing up. So Mikel Arteta limped off after less than 10 minutes in the disappointing defeat to Wigan on Monday and news appears to be bad. It seems he'll be out for the rest of the season no matter how short it is now, its still a massive part of the season. Now according to one statistician we have a win record of 0% without Arteta in the league this season. I can't confirm or deny it but either way that's not something we want to be hearing. 

Now ahead of the MASSIVE game against Chelsea on Saturday we have a gap in the midfield which we have to plug and the speculation has already started as to who will fill the gap. Many have said they think Alex OC is the answer, personally I have my doubt for 2 reasons, 1 that's not where I think he's best and 2 he isn't the answer to everything. Yes he gives us a new dimension and yes hes powerful but hes still young and as a lot to learn. A few have wearily whispered Diaby but surely he isn't fully fit if he only managed 45 minutes for the reserves the other night. Now I like Diaby and people saying hes past it due to this injury and we need to get rid of him need to wake up and realise this is the sort of situation we find ourselves in if we didn't have him. OK he can't play but what if he was fit, he makes it all more interesting. That leaves the young Aaron Ramsey who I think will start at Stamford Bridge.

Now onto Ramsey. I have been highly critical of Ramsey for the last month or so and many of you have been bitching and whining about how I'm being unfair. Read this carefully. I understand he's had a torrid year, coming back from an awful injury and losing a close friend and mentor in Gary Speed. I understand people being quick to defend him. But this is my point, he is off form and at this stage in the season when we are fighting for our Champions League status every single player has to put in his shift and I know against Wigan a lot of players were under par but Ramsey, sadly has been under par for weeks now. If we had a wealth of midfielders to choose from I'd keep him benched until I thought he was ready to come back and make an impact, but with the added annoyance of losing Arteta he's now being thrust under thee limelight. 

I know many of you think that's harsh but football is a harsh game. That's just how it is. Finally on this subject, to those fans sending him death threats, its absolutely pathetic. I love Arsenal football club and I want to see us succeed, but at the end of the day there are more important things in life than football. You aren't fans, fans get behind the team. Even though I think he's off form I will cheer Ramsey on, I want to see him score on Saturday.

Anyway, Chelsea preview and build up to come.