Friday 31 August 2012

Liverpool (A), Walcott and deadline day

So I have found some time before going out to dinner tonight to post for the first time in a while. I do apologise for the infrequency of these, the normal schedule will return as of next week when I return from the US.

Another goalless draw and I must say I was a little disappointed. We bossed the game again from what I saw and the stats back me up. We just couldn't find the net. As the game drew on I knew that changed were imminent but I must admit I think it was a poor decision to take Cazorla off, who again sparkled. We went for it though but that final clinical finish wasn't there as Podolski and Diaby fired wide. I thought just when it was over we were going to nick it as Giroud went charging down the left, but you could tell he hasn't gelled just yet, firing over the bar from distance when he should have played Ramsey through the middle. Talking of Ramsey I was disgusted to hear the Stoke fans booing him when he was brought on, it's low and I hope it was a minority but sadly I feel I am mistaken. Never have I wanted him to come on score the winner than I did then but it just wasn't to be. None the less, two clean sheets so maybe what Steve Bould is doing is working (fingers crossed).

Our attentions turn to Anfield on Sunday when we take on a new look Liverpool side and I must say I'm quite optimistic. From what I can gather, due to an absolute howler from Reina, their game with Hearts was taken to extra time. This gives us the advantage as many of the players will be tired and feeling the effects of tonight's match. I don't rate Liverpool as much of a side even with new signings and a new manager and it's a game that I think is definitely winnable. In terms of the team, its a difficult one with doubts over Szczesny and Koscielny. I think we're more likely to see SZCZ in the starting line up that Kos purely because that's the way Wenger is normally but we shall see. Wide positions are difficult at the moment, as personally I would have Walcott in over Gervinho every day but due to the issue with his contract I think Gerv could start again.

Now with reaction to the issue with Walcott and his ongoing contract. I've heard conflicting reports but it appears that he will be staying with the club and talks over his contract will continue over the next few weeks with his wage demands being the sticking point. He's asking for £100K a week whereas we offered him £75K, now I know this issue has divided Gooners so here's my opinion. Do I think Walcott is worth £100K a week? No. Do I think we should keep Theo? Absolutely. He is one of those players that can turn it on, he's "consistent patches" are good, admittedly when he's not firing he can be equally useless and that's where having additional firepower on the wings will come in handy. Basically I'm in Arsenal's position. I want him to stay but don't want to pay over the top for him.

 So tomorrow is deadline day, one of the most frantic in the footballing calendar. According to Wenger we are still active and I can see us bringing in one or two players tomorrow. I'm not going to talk about rumours because there are simply too many, I suppose we will just have to wait and see. But I expect us to do some business, in and out.

So that's it from me for today, my next post will be from merry old England so fingers crossed for Sunday! COYG.

Prediction: Liverpool 0-1 Arsenal