Saturday 29 October 2011

Chelsea (A) match report

Firstly, I apologise to you for not posting a Chelsea build up and prediction, I just never got around to it this weekend so apologies for that. I'll be honest, I was gonna predict us to lose 2-1. At the half I had the score, at full time I was miles.

So the game kicked off and it was clear that no side had set out to defend. There were attacks at both ends and we looked wobbly in the defence. Chelsea had 2 or 3 great chances to open the scoring as we were carved open. Then with the miss of the game, the ball was slid across the box to Gervinho who missed from 6 yards. Moments later RVP skied the ball from 7 yards. Then Chelsea were clinical, Mata breezed past Santos who apart from scoring had a shit game, and crossed for Lampard. The prick had a grin on his face after that went in, 80 minutes later he was skulking off down the tunnel. 


The game was totally open and we engineered a chance or two, but the one that we needed came after 35 minutes. A beautiful ball from Ramsey through to Gervinho who unselfishly passed it across to RVP who had the simplest of finishes, 1-1. Chelsea then once again put the ball in the net, after again beating Santos who was a mess. But it was ruled out for offside and rightly so. 7 minutes later though, it was 2-1. Mertersacker beaten to the ball by John Terry who let it bounce off him and in, shocking defending. And that wrapped up the half.






As we kicked off for the second half, we came tearing out the blocks. Nothing could have prepared me for the second half. 3 minutes later Santos showed us that he should probably be a winger rather than a defender as Song slipped him in and he smashed it through Cechs legs. That drew us level and from there we never looked back. After 56 minutes of the game, we took the lead for the first time as Theo Walcott drove the ball home sending the 3,000 travelling Arsenal fans, me and my father into total hysteria. We dominated possession and battered Chelsea, but we sat back too much and they equalised 10 minutes from time. However Santos was blocked off by the lumbering Lukakalaka, whatever his name is. 

It was this point that I picked the wrong time to get a beer. I opened the fridge to hear my father go ballistic and hurl a barrage of abuse at John Terry that I won't repeat on here. I charged in to see the racist fall over and allow RVP to run on to it, round Cech and pass it in, once again cue hysteria. Its a goal that Arsenal fans will watch over and over again, and will spark YouTube edits with the cartoon banana slip noise. Chelsea threw men forward in an attempt to grab an equaliser, but this ended up being their undoing and with 2 minutes of added time remaining, the game was dead. Arsenal broke 4 v 2 the ball was passed to RVP who fizzed his shot into the Chelsea net after a weak hand from Cech, at this point I was prancing around the room like I used too when I was 10 and I watched us score any goal. Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal. Stamford Bridge was even quieter than normal and as usual the Arsenal end was making all the noise. The whistle went and as the Chelsea players drudged off, our players and fans celebrated with scenes that reminded me of 2004 at WHL.




A truly remarkable game of football. Who says top 4 games are boring eh? A good start to the weekend and I have a shit tonne of fantasy league points with RVP's hat trick and Walcott's addition. 

Till Monday, enjoy this weekend and brag horrendously on Monday!