Saturday 22 October 2011

Stoke City (H)

We cut it fine, but we did it, in the last minute of the game. When the cross was slung in I had given up, the game was dead and nothing was happening. Gervinho missed it (typical) but had he not, it wouldn't have fallen to Ramsey who had time to think (dangerous) but did well to fire it past Mandanda. To be fair Marseille offered nothing and were poor throughout, I'd have taken a point but obviously 3 is better than 1. It leaves us looking fairly solid at the top 7 from 3, 3 games to play and I'd say one more win and we're there, the magical 10 points.





Stoke are a team that we have struggled against in recent seasons, mainly away but Stoke are the sort of team that on their day give us many problems. They're Arsene Wenger's worst nightmare: they play physical, they don't give away space and they're good from set pieces. Also the lumber some frame of Peter Crouch and the bulk that is Kenwyne Jones are the sort of strikers we hate to defend against. But Stoke have suffered badly after playing in Europe this season and hopefully this week will be no different.

I think there will be a few changes to the team that beat Marseille on Wednesday. Sadly for the lad Jenkinson he picked up a knock and will miss this one so expect to see Djourou starting at right back. Another change that I really hope we see is Gervinho in for Arshavin who apart from a maisey dribble was complete shit on Wednesday and the Arsenal fans are rapidly running out of patience for the little Russian. Apart from that I think the team will remain from those that got a midweek run out.



Well Stoke threats will come from Delap's throws as always and Crouch who is the perfect man to nod them in, elsewhere Walters and Jones are dangerous on their day. Pennant is doubtful but no doubt he'll be a menace should be play any role. The true test for our defence will be tomorrow when they face a totally new threat from the speed of Marseille. We shall see how they cope.

I know I'm back-tracking but I just want to say that Koscielny was absolutely fantastic midweek and my hat goes off to him. Now he's not my favourite player and he has had a lot of, sometimes fair, criticism but he really showed what he can do and that can only be good for his confidence, a top class performance.

This is a tough game to predict but either way I can't see it being a romp by either side and a scrappy game is on the boards I think.

Prediction: Arsenal 1-0 Stoke City