Tuesday 26 July 2011

Cologne victory and potential transfers

I apologise that I haven't posted for a while, but I'm currently enjoying a nice break state side although its bloody hard to find out what is actually going on out here for obvious reasons but I have persevered. After trolling through various newspaper sites here's what I have but please bear with me, if I'm miles behind a breaking transfer story on SSN I am sorry.

The Mirror, possible the most reliable paper in the world claim that Fabregas will be a Barca player by the end of the week, but this story has been printed so many times already this summer that I wouldn't be too worried. Apparently Guardiola has been told to expect him on the teams flight to the US this week. Maybe as I'm out here I'll pop down and pelt him with eggs as he leaves the airport, then and again I'd probably be shot for breaking some bizarre American law. 

According to various sources we're lining up a second bid for Phil Jagielka but I can't see it being sufficient enough to lure him aware from Everton who are standing firm saying he is not for sale so we'll see what happens with that. On a positive note its nice to see Wenger acknowledge that perhaps we are a bit shaky at the back and that he does want to strengthen the defence. I do rate Jagielka and I think he would be a good asset but I just can't see us paying enough to draw him away from the Toffee's.




On the actual football side of things we beat Cologne 2-1 on Wednesday, all 3 goal scored by us. Gervinho announced his arrival in the squad scoring a beautiful lob to open and then slotted into the net well from Walcott's ball in. Then in a truly odd incident another new lad Jenkinson, spectacularly lobbed Wojeich in our goal, the footage is on Arsenal Player for free if you want to see. I did feel for the young lad, that was the last thing he needed but we all make mistakes. This sets us up for the Emirates Cup this weekend that obviously I won't be able to attend.





The Sun informs me that Fifa have blocked our attempt to use goal line technology at the Emirates Cup. I can't say I'm surprised anything that makes any logical sense is denied by Fifa so that idea was always going to be shot down, but Blatter is coming under pressure from different angles but then and again Fifa is a corrupt as it comes. However the Arsenal site tells me that they are open to it (thank god) and by the next WC it could be in operation. I think the 2012/13 Premier League campaign may be too ambitious.

That's about it for now, so enjoy your week however its spent. I think I'll go soak up some more sun, although the potentially lethal Brown Widow spiders we have living poolside are a tad off putting.